R&D Gap-Funding for Healthcare Innovators
Health Innovation Challenge Fund
The HIC Fund is a joint funding partnership between the Wellcome
Trust and Department of Health. It is positioned as a translational funding scheme to accelerate the clinical application of projects that are well advanced along the development pathway.
- Stimulate the development and uptake of innovative products, technologies and interventions for the benefit of patients in the NHS and other healthcare systems.
- Support UK-led projects, which target unmet, or poorly met, healthcare needs.
- Provide translational funding for projects that have demonstrated ‘proof-of-principle’ and have the potential for clinical use or adoption within five years.
- Take the product, technology or intervention to the stage at which it is sufficiently developed to be attractive to follow-on funders or investors.
- Encourage the collaboration of companies, academia and clinicians to better confront today’s healthcare challenges.
The current call for applications is closed. We hope to announce details and timings for the next round of applications in early Spring 2014.
The Health Innovation Challenge Fund invites applicants to apply for funding in any of the areas of special interest listed below.
0512-1a – Clinical applications of genetics
0512-2a – Early detection and diagnosis of chronic illness or long term conditions
0512-3a – Minimising the impact of trauma and serious injury
0512-4a – Informing clinical management through software-based analysis of complex datasets
0512-5a – Repurposing of medicines and medical devices
Note: The £10m funding round 9 will review and assess proposals across all themes. All applications are judged purely on merit and there are no funding quotas set for the individual themes.